Matt's Blog

Weblog of New York City based Jewish Musician.

Monday, June 09, 2003

More YIVO Gems
While working in the sound archives I like to listen to different recordings. Todays selections were mixed as always. Here are some of the ones that stuck with me;

Chassidico Fever - When I saw the cover I had to take a listen. Remember in "Mr. Saturday Night" when Buddy Young Jr. is showing his apartment to Annie, he shows her a record of DiscoJew. The cover looked like that, except for it was three guys in beards and payes with fur hats on. It was ok, nothing special.

Fiddler on the Roof Goes Latin - I wish I could remember the name of the band leader, it was not a bad record, I like it. They are great tunes, and most of the Jewish-Latin projects that I have listened to work.

Last but not least I put on a recorded where the first side was by the Barton Brothers. You remember them from the Yiddish Radio Project, they are the guys that had the hit with "Joe and Paul's." What Henry didn't tell you is that their is a second side to that record, it goes on for like 7 and a half minutes. This record had three or four nice skits. One of them was memorable, it was a "jewish" version of the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere. One of the other cuts was this latin ditty that went all the place, not two verses went together. One of them had to do something with the cup sizes of womens' bras. Their stuff is just not up to the level that Mickey Katz material is.

Well, I should be back in the vault latter this week, and at that point another report of YIVO Gems will come out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know where I can get a copy of this recording. If so please contact me at swginfo@verizon.net

February 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
  • The one and only Klezmershack
  • A blog on Yiddish and Jewish Music
  • Living Traditions
  • The Folksbiene Yiddish Theater
  • YIVO